Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tempus Fugit!

Wow!  Time sure flees.  I sat down to write many times and, sure as can be, some other event took me from my computer.  Since classes have passed beyond the initial discussion of the future perfect tense, I am going to hit the fast-forward button and move up to the present.
A couple of quick notes, though, about what I have been thinking about for future Latin teaching.   I have met with students over the past couple of weeks to discuss Latin grammar, and, without exception, we all have left the conversations disappointed.  My old tools--explain the grammar in English, ask for examples in French or Spanish, illustrate the grammar with creative sentences (usually using the word "kill")--are no longer up to the task of breaking through a student's lack of understanding.  Some teachers would say that students just don't have the explicit grammar knowledge they used to.  And that is true.  Others would say that the old approach actually did not work, even when it did.  And that is probably true, too.  I would say that, whatever the problems, continuing to forge ahead as if they weren't there is not an option.  And since so many of the background issues are out of my control, I must make changes.  And boy am I!
I am convinced that I must move to a viva voce model of teaching.  Involve more, as they say, comprehensible input in my teaching.  Ditch the English and connect the Latin to the concept without an intermediary. This is a big change, way outside my comfort zone.  But the longer I teach, the more convinced I am that, while goals do not change, often the route to the goal will. 
My goal is to produce students able to communicate with the ancients in their own tongue.  Not necessarily Latin speakers, but adults able to interact in Latin and Roman culture with the classics.  And think about it--anything less is unacceptable.  There are too many quotes from former Latin students (from the 1800s till now) who readily admit they cannot read three connected sentences of authentic Latin.  I am sure the benefit to English is great--but most of my English vocab knowledge came from a better source:  extensive reading IN ENGLISH. 
So, look for changes next year.  [TBC]

No comments:

Post a Comment